Stardew Valley is a popular farming simulation RPG that is available on a variety of platforms. Fishing is one way you can spend your time, but you’ll need some bait first.
Because each platform uses a unique controller, the steps for one platform may not work for another. You can learn how to fish for all major platforms in the sections below. Continue reading for more information.
The Nintendo Switch
The Nintendo Switch version was released in 2017, one year after the PC version. To play Stardew Valley on this platform, you’ll primarily use the Joy-Cons or a Pro Controller. However, you can use a non-official controller as a wired Pro Controller by plugging it in.
On the Nintendo Switch, using bait and fishing works like this.
- Make your way to a body of water in Stardew Valley.
- Open the inventory and place your cursor on the bait.
- On the bait, press A to select all or Y to select only one.
- Press Y to connect the bait to the rod.
- After that, exit the inventory.
- To cast your line, press Y.
- Wait for a bite to fill the catch meter.
- Return your fish and repeat as needed.
The Nintendo Switch version of Stardew Valley can be played in docked or handheld mode. Because the controls are the same, there’s no need to memorize two sets of muscle memory just to play the game. It makes no difference if you’re using wireless Pro Controllers, JoyCons, or other controllers.
Stardew Valley’s original version does not only support a mouse and keyboard. You can also use the following controllers:
- Switch Pro Controller – Switch Joy-Cons – Xbox One – Xbox 360 – PS4
Players can bind actions to different buttons, but we’ll stick with the default controls for now.
- Begin by opening your inventory.
- Depending on how much you want to fish, left-click or right-click the bait.
- Select the rod by right-clicking.
- Right-click in a body of water to cast your line.
- Allow a fish to bite and fill the meter.
- Hook the fish in and repeat as needed.
Scroll to the platform of your preferred controller if you’re not using a mouse and keyboard. Those instructions will also work for the PC version.
The touchscreen is the primary controller for Stardew Valley, whether on iOS or Android. This will necessitate the use of your fingers and thumbs. The mobile version, on the other hand, does support controllers.
These are the bait and fishing controls on the touch screen.
- Bring up the inventory by touching your screen.
- Tap and drag the bait or stack everything on the rod.
- Tap the water with your finger.
- Sit back and wait for the fish to bite.
- Fill up the meter and successfully catch the fish.
- If necessary, repeat the steps.
If your mobile device has a controller, use these instructions instead.
- Go to a river or another fishing location.
- Launch the inventory.
- Choose one or more of the bait.
- Attach the bait to your fishing rod.
- To cast your line, press the “Use Tool” button.
- Be patient and wait for something to bite.
- Press and hold the button to fill the meter.
- Repeat the process to catch more fish.
Every mobile controller is unique. Bluetooth-enabled controllers, such as the Xbox One or Pro Controller, may be used by your phone. Of course, the buttons may differ as a result of this.
Stardew Valley is only available on the PS4, but it can be transferred to the PS5. Unfortunately, it is not currently available on the second console. However, the controls are identical, and customization is possible.
- Display the inventory near a fishing location.
- Select X for a stack or square for single bait pieces.
- Attach bait by pressing the square button on the fishing rod.
- Close the inventory.
- To begin fishing, press the square button once more.
- Wait for a bite before removing the fish.
- Repeat the previous steps to begin fishing.
Aside from fish, you may occasionally catch some garbage. Never give up. There are still some rare catches to be had.
The face buttons on the Xbox One and Xbox 360 controllers are identical. As a result, regardless of your console, follow the instructions below.
- Begin by opening your inventory.
- Press A for a full stack of bait or X for just one.
- Use the X button to attach the bait to your rod.
- Begin fishing.
- Continue until you’re done.
These and other instructions can be used by PC players to play the fishing minigame.
Additional Frequently Asked Questions
While the game includes several fishing rods, only two of them can be used with bait. They are fiberglass and iridium rods. Crab pots can hold bait as well, but the process is different.
All of these rods are available from Willy’s Shop.
Aside from fish of varying rarity, your fishing rod reels may end up in some trash instead. Your location will also influence your chances of landing a big catch.
Fishing is more than just a simple minigame in Stardew Valley. What you can catch and how rare the fish can be are determined by an entire system. Iridium is the highest grade.
Different fish have unique patterns. Knowing them all makes it much easier to catch them all.
Getting as many fish as possible is the best way to improve your fishing skills. They are as follows:
• Algae, White
• Algae (green)
• Crab Trays
Obtaining items from a Fish Pond can also help you improve your fishing skills.
The ideal catch
Many rewards, ranging from rare fish to treasure, become available once you understand how fishing works. In the game, you can find enough ingredients to cook with and even rare Artifacts. Many players level up their fishing in order to win these prizes.
In Stardew Valley, how much do you fish? What new fishing features would you like to see added? Let us know in the comments.