The recent rise of Apple Arcade opens up new possibilities and raises new questions for gamers. Although Apple isn’t known for its appeal to gamers, the company is working hard to change that. Xbox controllers were an afterthought among the peripherals that could be connected to a macOS device. Until now, that is.
This article will show you how to use your Xbox One controller to control your Mac computer.
What You Should Know
If you’re used to pairing your Xbox One controller with other devices, you’re probably aware that it requires a full charge before pairing. A broken controller will not pair with any device, let alone your Mac.
Following that, your Xbox One controller may be Bluetooth or wired. The instructions below may differ depending on which one you’re using.
Finally, the ability to pair an Xbox One controller with your Mac is heavily dependent on the model of Xbox One controller you’re attempting to use. The following controllers are compatible:
- Bluetooth Xbox Wireless Controller (Model 1708)
- Series 2 Xbox Elite Wireless Controller
- Microsoft Xbox Adaptive Controller
- Series S and X Xbox Wireless Controllers
It’s also important to note that your Mac must be running macOS Catalina or higher. Now that we’ve got everything in order, let’s look at how to connect an Xbox One controller to a Mac computer.
How to Connect an Xbox One Controller to a Mac via Bluetooth
Fortunately, pairing the two devices via Bluetooth is a simple process. Here’s how it’s done:
- Holding the Xbox button until it lights up will turn on your Xbox One controller.
- After that, press and hold the pairing button until the Xbox button flashes.
- Now, on your Mac, click the Apple icon. After that, select System Preferences.
- Select Bluetooth from the menu.
- Next to your Xbox controller, click Connect.
Your Xbox One Controller is now linked to your Mac. Although the process is extremely simple, you may encounter some complex issues. If this didn’t work for you, we’ll go over the troubleshooting steps below.
How to Connect an Xbox One Controller to a Mac Using a USB Cable
If you don’t have a Bluetooth-capable device, you might wonder if the two devices can be connected using the Micro-SD to USB option. You can still connect your non-Bluetooth controller to most Macs, though it isn’t as simple as the method described above. Xbox One controllers are not natively USB-compatible with Mac. We’ll need some third-party software to help us with this section. But don’t worry, we tested this software in August 2021 and it still works perfectly.
Here’s how it’s done:
- Navigate to GitHub and download 360Controller.
- To finish the installation, follow the prompts as they appear.
- You must now grant 360Controller access to your Mac. Select Security & Privacy from the System Preferences menu.
- To grant access, click the Lock icon in the lower left corner, enter your Mac password, and then click Allow.
- After finishing, restart your Mac. Return to System Preferences and select the 360Controller icon.
Plug your Xbox controller into the USB port on your Mac and you should be good to go.
360Controller, like most games on the Xbox, allows you to switch controls, invert options, and more.
Macs and Xbox One Controllers
Given the popularity of both the Xbox One and Mac laptops, it’s no surprise that there are a variety of ways to use an Xbox One controller with your Mac. Whether you use Bluetooth, cables, or third-party apps, you can quickly configure your Xbox controller to work with your Mac.