The Steam platform is currently the most popular way to buy and organize PC games in the same program. Gift cards can be redeemed on Steam, but not everyone has access to Steam’s proprietary cards. Instead, you could be one of the people who received an Amazon gift card as a birthday present.
Don’t worry, you can still get Steam games with an Amazon gift card. Contrary to popular belief, Amazon sells more than just physical goods; it also sells digital products. Continue reading for the steps.
How to Purchase Steam Games Using an Amazon Gift Card
Contrary to popular belief, you will not require Steam for the purchase process until you reach the second phase. Because Steam only accepts the company’s own gift cards, your Amazon gift card will not work in the store. As a result, you must first redeem the card on Amazon.
- Navigate to Amazon’s website.
- Access your account.
- In the upper-right corner, select “Account & Lists.”
- Select “Account” from the drop-down menu.
- Select “Gift Cards” from the available options.
- Click on “Redeem A Gift Card.”
- A new page will appear, prompting you to enter the gift card’s code.
- Select “Apply To Balance.”
The steps are slightly different on mobile.
- Open your mobile device’s Amazon app.
- Locate the user icon near the bottom of the screen and tap it.
- Begin scrolling down the user page.
- Look for the phrase “Gift Card Balance.”
- Choose “Redeem Gift Card.”
- For this step, you can either scan the gift card or manually enter the code.
- Select “Apply To Balance.”
- The money has now been added to your account.
This method allows you to buy any Steam game right away because the cost is deducted from your Amazon account balance. However, there is another option for purchasing Steam games on Amazon using a gift card.
- Visit Amazon.
- If necessary, log in.
- Enter the title of a game into the search bar.
- To begin a search, press “Enter.”
- Select the game from the list.
- Select “Add To Cart.”
- To review your purchases, click the cart icon.
- On the payment options page, click the “Enter A Gift Card, Voucher, Or Promotional Code” button.
- Type in the code.
- Press the “Apply” button.
- Continue, and you should be able to obtain the Steam game code.
The Steam game code can be obtained by performing the following steps:
- Navigate to the homepage of your Amazon account.
- Look for the phrase “Digital Content And Devices.”
- Navigate to “Digital Games And Software.”
- Access your list and look for the Steam game you purchased.
- The activation code will be located beneath the game’s title.
The first half of the process concludes here, and you must proceed to Steam for the second half. Each activation key will follow one of three patterns.
- An alphanumeric string that concludes with two numbers after a space.
Knowing these will aid you in locating the code more quickly.
The Next Stage
Assuming you now have the Steam download code, you can go to Steam and activate the game you recently purchased. The game will not run or download unless you use the free PC client distributed by Steam.
Here’s what you need to do to obtain the game.
- Open the Steam client for PC on your computer.
- Examine the toolbar near the top of the screen.
- Select “Games.”
- Select “Steam Product Activation.”
- Press the “Next” button.
- Go through the subscriber agreement.
- Click “I Agree” to continue.
- Type in your Steam product key.
- Select “Next.”
- The game has been added to your library.
If you are not near your PC, you can pre-activate the game on your smartphone. All that remains when you arrive at your computer is the installation process. The length of time required is determined by the size of the game.
- On your mobile device, tap on this link.
- Sign in with your credentials and verify them with the Steam app.
- Enter the code in the appropriate field.
- Select “Continue.”
- The game has been saved to your library.
The app is required for this process, but product key activation is not possible. Using the mobile version of the Steam website, this workaround is the only mobile solution available.
You already have control of the game at this point. Clicking on the game’s listing will give you the option to download it.
Make sure your hard drive has enough storage space, as game files can take up a lot of space. For a pleasurable gaming experience, your PC should also be capable of running the game at an acceptable quality.
If you only have Amazon gift cards, there is no other way to buy Steam games. Valve has yet to implement methods for using other gift cards, so you’ll have to rely on this method.
You should also be aware that not every game sold on Amazon includes the option to purchase a Steam code. Of course, only PC games designed for Steam will have Steam keys, but the title may not be available in that format. It is available on Steam but not on Amazon.
As a result, it’s best to avoid using Amazon gift cards to purchase Steam games. You can use Steam gift cards or your credit card, which is much faster and only takes a couple of minutes.
No, you cannot do so solely through the app. You can, however, redeem the code using a mobile browser. You will, however, need to authenticate your login via the app.
As a result, while Steam for mobile is insufficient, there is a workaround.
You can easily obtain Steam games by purchasing them on Amazon. However, there’s no guarantee that the game you’re looking for will be available on Amazon. Nonetheless, the procedure is completely safe, if somewhat inconvenient.
Before you proceed with payment, you will be taken to a page that lists all of the payment methods that Amazon accepts. A gift card code can be entered in a field near the middle of the page. After you’ve applied it, you can go to your shopping cart and finish your purchase.
No, Steam will only accept cards that Valve sells to retailers. You can also purchase digital Steam gift cards to send to friends all over the world. This is significantly faster than mailing a physical one.
Useful in some ways
Despite the fact that this method is inconvenient for you, it is the only way to convert the money on your Amazon gift card into the Steam game you desire. The process takes longer and can be confusing, but it is not difficult. Before you begin, make sure to purchase a Steam activation key from Amazon.
What games have you purchased from Amazon in this manner? How would you improve this process if you could? Please share your thoughts in the comments section below.