You already have a Steam account and are eager to start playing your favorite games. The only thing left to do is connect your PS4 controller. Fortunately, connecting a PlayStation 4 controller to Steam is simple. You’ll be playing your favorite online games with your PS4 controller in no time.
You can connect via USB cable or wirelessly to avoid being tethered to any device. With the power of Bluetooth, you’ll be able to move around freely for the best gaming experience.
In this article, we’ll go over how to quickly connect a PS4 controller to Steam. First, using a USB cable, and then using Bluetooth.
How to Use a USB Cable to Connect a PS4 Controller to Steam
Before connecting your PS4 controller to Steam, unplug all nearby PlayStation consoles. You can eliminate the possibility of the controller attempting to sync with the consoles rather than your computer by first unplugging them.
Follow the steps below to connect your PS4 to Steam via USB cable:
- Access your Steam account.
- Click “Steam” in the upper-left corner and select “Check for Steam Client Updates” from the drop-down menu.”
- Install any available updates and restart the app if necessary.
- Connect your PS4 controller to a USB port on your laptop or computer.
- Choose “Steam” from the top window and then “Settings.” from the drop-down menu.”
- Select “Controller” from the drop-down menu.
- Go to the “General Controller Settings” menu.
- Your controller will now be listed under “Detected Controllers.” Select “PS4 Configuration Support” by checking the box.
- Name the controller, change the controller light color, and turn on and off the rumble feature as needed.
- To save your choices, click “Submit.”
You’ve now used a USB cable to connect your PS4 controller to Steam.
How to Use Bluetooth to Connect a PS4 Controller to Steam
You can connect your PS4 controller to Steam via Bluetooth if you prefer a wireless experience. However, before you begin the connection process, unplug any nearby PlayStation consoles. This removes the possibility of the controller attempting to sync with these consoles.
Follow these steps to wirelessly connect your PS4 controller to Steam:
- Access your Steam account.
- Click “Steam” in the upper-left corner of your screen. Then, from the drop-down menu, choose “Check for Steam Client Updates.”
- If updates are available, they will be installed automatically.
- Connect the PS4 Bluetooth dongle to a USB port on your laptop or PC.
- Hold down the “PS” and “Share” buttons on your PS4 console until the top light starts flashing.
- The controller will be listed under “Detected Controllers” in the device list. Tap the box next to its name to select it.
- Connect the dongle to your laptop or PC by pressing the button on the back. A successful connection is indicated by a flashing light on its end.
Steam is now wirelessly connected to your PS4 controller. If at all possible, leave the controller’s dongle plugged in after you’ve finished playing. You’ll lose the paring and have to re-set it the next time you want to play.
Yes. Your PS4 controller can be used not only to play games, but also to navigate the Steam platform. Here’s how to go about it:
1. Open Steam and navigate to the upper-right corner to select the big-screen icon.
2. Select the settings icon in the upper left-hand corner.
3. Select “Controller,” followed by “Big Picture Configuration.”
4. You can configure Steam navigation from this screen.
A number of factors could cause Steam to fail to recognize your PS4 controller. If you’re having trouble connecting, try the common fixes listed below.
• Unplug the USB cable or Bluetooth dongle and thoroughly clean the USB port.
• To use your computer wirelessly, make sure Bluetooth is turned on. Toggle Bluetooth off and on several times in your computer’s settings.
• Determine whether your PS4 controller requires charging. If the battery is running low, charge it and try again.
• Update any out-of-date Bluetooth drivers.
Yes, but there are far too many games to list how to do so in detail for each. To configure a controller, generally press the PS button on your PS4 controller, and you’ll be given instructions for configuring each game.
Getting Started with Steam and a PS4 Controller
You can connect your PS4 controller to Steam in two ways: wirelessly or via USB cable. Whatever you choose, remember to unplug all nearby PlayStation consoles before pairing your controller. Also, not all Steam games have controller support, but for the most part, this isn’t necessary.
Have you tried connecting a PlayStation 4 controller to Steam? Did you employ the methods outlined in this article? Please share your thoughts in the comments section.