Windows 10 has a variety of cool and interesting apps, but occasionally one app can be quite disruptive. Moreover, applications that interfere with Windows 10 on a PC are not supported. One of its apps is Cortana, a digital voice assistant that comes with Windows 10 by default.
What exactly is Cortana?
Microsoft’s Cortana is a cloud-based virtual assistant that can perform a variety of tasks in Windows 10 using voice commands. For instance, setting reminders and requesting information. In addition to being able to search for questions using the search box.
Cortana, like Siri on Apple devices and other assistant applications, can be activated by uttering specific phrases. Some individuals find Cortana to be extremely useful, while others find her to be extremely annoying.
Reasons to Disable Cortana in Windows 10
Cortana would likely rank last in a survey comparing the performance and functionality of Cortana, Siri, and Google Assistant.
Windows 10’s high disk usage is one of the most important reasons to disable Cortana. Even when the PC is idle, Cortana consumes a significant amount of RAM, causing Windows 10 to perform poorly.
Although there has never been a case of Cortana causing 100 percent disk usage in Windows 10, the possibility exists. However, some users frequently disable Cortana via the Task Manager because it negatively impacts Windows 10 performance.
Can Cortana be disabled in Windows 10?
Cortana is the default system application in Windows 10. This is the reason why it is difficult to disable Cortana and uninstall Cortana through the task manager. So how do you disable Cortana permanently and terminate the Cortana process from the task manager? Here is the procedure.
How to Turn Off/Disable the Cortana Feature in Windows 10
Disable Cortana through Windows Settings
Cortana provides relevant results because it monitors daily Windows 10 activity and analyzes personal data. It also contains contacts, emails, Internet search history, locations, and more.
Therefore, you must first disable all of its activity monitoring services. To accomplish this, navigate to Windows 10 Settings > Cortana > Permissions and History.
- Click “Manage the information Cortana can access from the device” > Toggle each option from “On” to “Off.”
- Click “Manage the information Cortana knows about me in the cloud” > Cortana will open the “Personal Information” tab in Windows search > Scroll down and click “Clear”
- Click on your login ID > Click Sign out
- Scroll down to History section > Disable “View Activity History”
- After you have stopped the Cortana service, you just need to hide it from the Taskbar.
- Right click on the Taskbar > Click on Cortana > Select “Hidden”
How to Turn Off Cortana in Windows 10 with Computer Configuration
The second method to turn off Cortana on Windows 10 is to use Compute Configuration. Here are the steps:
- Open the run dialog by Windows + R > Type gpedit.msc > Click OK / Enter
- Go to Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > Search.
- In the Cortana menu, Double click on “Allow Cortana”
- Set “Allow Cortana” to “Disabled”.
- Click OK, then Restart PC/Laptop to see if Cortana has been disabled successfully.
There are two ways to disable Cortana on Windows 10 permanently and easily. You might also want to read another article about windows 10 like Beginner’s Guide Easy Ways How to Speed Up Windows 10. Best wishes and please provide feedback on Windows 10.