Canucks lose 5-4 as Golden Knights regroup and come back in the third period.

The Vegas Golden beat the Vancouver 5–4 in a wild game where both teams scored three goals in a row in the last period. Two goals were overturned after a challenge, and both teams scored three goals in the final period. During the victory, Logan Thompson stopped 26 of the 30 shots he faced, Alex Pietrangelo had another 3-point game, and a number of other players scored multiple points.

Canucks lose 5-4 as Golden Knights regroup and come back in the third period.

The Golden Knights dominated the majority of the action in the first period, outshooting the Canucks 17-8, but they nearly fell behind. Bruce Cassidy challenged the play and it was determined that “the puck left the attacking zone at 6:46 (13:14 elapsed time) and, as a result, the play was ruled offside. The clock is reset to 6:46, the time of the offside infraction.”

Despite the goal being overturned, Vancouver scored first when Brock Boeser’s shot deflected off rookie Andrei Kuzmenko at 11:48 of the second period. It was a solid play by the Canucks, and Kuzmenko’s position between Nic Hague and Zach Whitecloud at the top of the goal crease made it possible.

The Golden Knights responded quickly, with Jack Eichel producing two goals. At 14:52, the leading scorer for Vegas fired a shot on goal, and captain Mark Stone deflected it past Thatcher Demko to tie the game. After 49 seconds, the Golden Knights scored again to take a 2-1 lead, and this time it was William Carrier who scored his fifth goal of the season.

The Golden Knights held a 25-16 advantage in shots on goal after 40 minutes of play and looked to seal the deal in the third period. Following this, both teams scored multiple goals in quick succession, and the Golden Knights managed to escape with a victory.

Bo Horvat tied the game at 2-2 1:47 into the period after J.T. Miller sent him on a break down the middle of the ice with a pass. Nearly 4 minutes later, Luke Schenn scored his second goal of the season to make the score 3-2, and Elias Pettersson scored his 10th goal of the season to give the Canucks a 4-2 advantage.

This is a familiar tale for the Golden Knights, and things appeared to be slipping away, but what followed was something that has happened to the Canucks multiple times this season: they blew a multi-goal lead. William Carrier began the comeback with his sixth of the season and second of the game, which made the score 4-3. At 8:57, Reilly Smith scored his 10th goal of the season, and at 8:57, Mark Stone scored… or so everyone believed.

For the second time in this game, a goal was reviewed, and it was determined that while Vancouver was attempting to clear the puck by rimming it around the boards, it struck a camera that was protruding through the glass cutout, and therefore play should have been stopped.

Alex Pietrangelo skated toward the circles and cut to the net to receive a pass from Mark Stone to give the Golden Knights a 5-4 advantage.

This was the game-winning goal, despite allowing three goals in the third period. The Golden Knights played a sloppy game in which they missed their assignments, couldn’t score on the power play, and were sometimes careless, but they got it together when it counted. A win is a win, even if it came against a team that hasn’t played well this season, and the team added two much-needed points to get back into the win column.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

%d bloggers like this: