The main reason to use a VPN on an Xbox One is to avoid censorship and get around geographical restrictions. By changing your IP address, you can get to content that wouldn’t be available in your area otherwise, and you can keep hackers from getting to your data.
Unfortunately, the Xbox One, like most gaming consoles, lacks native VPN support. On the plus side, there are a few workarounds for these constraints. In this article, we’ll show you how to use a VPN on an Xbox One with a Wi-Fi router or on your computer.
How to Connect to a VPN on an Xbox One Using a Windows PC
Another option is to use your PC as a middleman. However, an Ethernet cable is required to make it work. Check to see if your subscription is still active.
If all of the prerequisites are met, here’s how to use a VPN on an Xbox One via a Windows PC:
- Get a VPN account.
- Install ExpressVPN on your computer.
- Connect your Ethernet cable to your Xbox One. The port is usually found on the console’s back.
- Connect the other end of the cable to your computer.
- Open the “Network and Sharing Center” tab in the “Control Panel.”
- From the list of options on the left, select “Change Adaptor Settings.”
- Right-click on the title of your VPN and select “Properties.”
- Select the “Sharing Tab” and allow other users to connect to the network via your PC.
Try to access a game that you know is unavailable in your region to test the VPN connection on your Xbox One. If everything goes well, you should be able to play it without incident. If that doesn’t work, try the old “unplug, then plug back in” method with the Ethernet cable.
How to Connect to a VPN on an Xbox One Using a Mac
Apple users need not worry because a similar solution exists for macOS devices as well. To use a VPN on your Xbox One, you’ll need the same ingredients (an Ethernet cable and an active subscription). The procedure is simple and consists of the following steps:
- Sign up for a secure VPN service such as ExpressVPN.
- Download and install ExpressVPN on your Mac.
- Connect the Xbox One to the computer using the Ethernet cable.
- Navigate to “System Preferences” on your Mac. Click “Sharing,” then select “Internet Sharing” from the list of options on the left.
- A “Share Your Connection” drop-down menu will appear. Select “Wi-Fi.”
- Choose the Ethernet cable from the list of network-enabled devices.
- On the left-hand side of the list, check the box next to “Internet Sharing.” A small green symbol will appear if the Xbox One is successfully connected to your Mac.
Finally, launch your preferred VPN service and connect it to your computer.
If the two devices were successfully connected, you should be able to use a VPN on your Xbox One.
How to Connect to a VPN on an Xbox One Using a Router
The third option for using a VPN with an Xbox One is to configure a VPN on your router and then use the service on your console with minimal effort. You can read our complete guide for instructions on how to install a VPN on your router. Many of the most popular brands are represented in the guide. If you’re just looking for some high-level instructions, follow these steps:
- Create a VPN account with ExpressVPN.
- Log in to your VPN service account.
- Determine the IP address of the router.
- Log in to the router using the IP address.
- Locate the tab that controls the network connection. Depending on the device, it may be listed under various titles (for example, “WAN Setup,” “Network”).
- Enter the information for your preferred VPN service.
- Start your Xbox One and navigate to “Guide.”
- Select “Settings,” then “General,” and finally “Network Settings.”
- Press “A” and select “Set Up a Wireless Network.”
- Configure the console to use the router that is linked to your VPN.
VPN services typically provide step-by-step instructions on how to do this, so check the website of your preferred provider for more information.
Additional Frequently Asked Questions
Maintaining a low ping is critical when gaming, whether casual or professional. There’s a chance that using a VPN on your Xbox One will slow it down. A VPN typically routes more data than a standard ISP package, resulting in a lower ping. This is especially true when playing online games.
However, in some cases, a VPN can be useful. Assume you have an internet outage in your area. You can avoid the problem by using a VPN to connect to a different server. In addition, if you’re in a location with limited internet access, such as a school, a VPN can encrypt your connection and bypass any network administrators’ blocking. You’ll be able to access blocked sites at school with a reasonable ping.
Most gaming consoles, including the Xbox One, lack native VPN support. The main reason for this is that VPN services typically place a cap on how much bandwidth you can use. Less bandwidth can cause lag and higher ping, which is annoying for most gamers.
VPN services are not supported by all routers. Check the features included in the product listing before purchasing. Otherwise, you’ll have to replace it in the future.
Fortunately, some modern routers include VPN support. The best part is that they are not difficult to find. The websites of most industry-leading VPN providers, such as ExpressVPN, include a list of recommended VPN routers.
There are some, but we don’t recommend them. A free provider’s speed and privacy are not safe or secure. A paid service, such as ExpressVPN, is a better option.
Cheesing Your Way to Success
While the Xbox One does not natively support VPN services, there are a few workarounds. If you have the appropriate device, you can connect the console to the VPN using your router. There’s also the option of connecting the Xbox via Ethernet cable to a computer running VPN software. The latter is useful because it works on both Mac and Windows PCs.
However, when it comes to gaming, a VPN is a double-edged sword. Yes, it can provide you with access to otherwise restricted content. On the other hand, it can seriously disrupt your ping. Choosing the appropriate provider could be the deciding factor. A good free VPN service can help you. The most secure option, however, is to sign up for a reputable service like ExpressVPN.
Do you frequently use a VPN when gaming? Who is your preferred service provider? Comment below and let us know if you know of another way to use a VPN on an Xbox One.